- Beets are particularly high in folate (B-complex Vitamin) which is essential for normal tissue growth (like your skins cells) and prevention of birth defects in pregnancy.
- It’s the betacyanin that gives beets their red hue and antioxidant ability. If fact, their antioxidants are higher in comparison to other token veggies like spinach, broccoli, and onions.
So beets have their benefits and so does juicing (it’s like a liquid multivitamin) BUT you don’t want to drink 8 glasses a day.
Remember, juicing puts the sugar from fruits and vegetables straight into our blood; all the pulp and fiber (which slow down the process) has been removed. The less work your body has to do to breakdown food, the faster the sugar hits our system, and the higher the glycemic load. So, whole food is always best because you’re still digesting the fiber. For a good dose of vitamins and nutrients, take a shot or two of juice and save the pulp!
ABC Juice (Apple Beet Carrot)
- 2 small beets
- 1 large apple
- 2 carrots
- 1 inch piece of ginger
- 1.5 – 2 cups of water
- Scrub beets and carrots, cut off ends and chop into smaller pieces (2 inch or so).
- Chop up apple and ginger (peel first).
- Put all ingredients with water in Vitamix and blend for 30 seconds until well mixed. Or put produce through juicer.
- Pour juice into glass with a few ice cubes. Give it a quick swirl and drink before the ice cubes melt!
Don’t toss your pulp!
- If juicing, reserve the pulp.
- If blending, use a strainer to separate juice from pulp. Try to remove as much moisture as possible.
Now, take the pulp and go make yourself some ridiculously healthy Beet & Carrot Cake Bites!!